Assisted Living programs are continuing to rise in price and may be shocking out of expensive it is. It can be even more shocking when you least expect it. The average price currently in the United States for a one bedroom apartment is around $3000 per month. This is just an average and depending on the location it can be much more costly.
It can be difficult trying to figure out how to cover the monthly cost of assisted living communities because typically it isn’t a planned expense. Many senior citizens can apply for Medicaid to cover the monthly fees but it may be difficult to pass the qualifications to receive coverage. It may be difficult to figure out how to cover the charge if Medicaid won’t cover the cost and your senior loved one still doesn’t not have the funds to cover it themselves. One option is to create a “Miller Trust” where you sign over a large majority of assets and income over to the government so they can become qualified for coverage
If that is not an option there are several “insider secrets” to make sure you are not compromising the quality of life and care standards with a lower monthly cost. Here are 5 insider secrets to make sure your loved one gets the care they deserve:
- Take a look in a different area – Although location may be important to your senior loved one you may have to take a look in a different area because location is everything. Big cities and resort town will cost a lot more compared to smaller rural areas.
- See if they have any move-in specials – Many times assisted living programs may have a base price to get moved in but they may have some wiggle room to play with the pricing a bit so they can make sure occupancy stays high. Ask if they can cut you a deal such as waiving set-up fees or discounting rent for the first year.
- Consider a studio or shared apartment – Larger private apartments are always going to be pricier than studios and shared apartments. Many times you can save hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars by renting a studio or shared apartment.
- Take a glance at the inspection reports – It is difficult to understand the quality of care by just taking a look online or a quick tour. Inspection reports will help you find the premier assisted care facilities that may be more affordable.
- Get in touch with a Senior Living Advisor – Senior Living Advisors can help you breakdown the quality and features your loved one will receive for what they are paying for. They will help you find the perfect assisted living community that is within your budget.